You'll have to look carefully, sometimes. You won't see pure pink shoes on many NFL players, though we did see a few. On the other hand, you will frequently see pink soles on the shoes they are wearing, as they mark Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Pink ribbons became the official symbol of breast cancer awareness in 1993
Pink ribbons have been the symbol of the fight against breast cancer since 1993. In 1993 Evelyn Lauder, Senior Corporate Vice President of the Estée Lauder Companies founded the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, making the Pink Ribbon its symbol. With that, the color pink became the color, as well.
The NFL's program to highlight Breast Cancer Awareness Month is called "A Crucial Catch: Annual Screening Saves Lives," encourages women 40 and older about the importance of having an annual mammogram. Among the specific things fans should look for at games are the following:
- Game balls with pink ribbon decals used for every down
- Players wearing pink cleats, wristbands, gloves, chin straps, sideline caps, helmet decals, eye shield decals, captains' patches, sideline towels and quarterback towels
- Pink coins used for the coin toss
- Pink sideline caps for coaches and sideline personnel and pink ribbon pins for coaches and team executives
- Officials wearing caps with pink ribbons, pink wristbands and pins and using pink whistles
- On-field pink ribbon stencils and A Crucial Catch wall banners
- Pink goal-post padding in end zones
- Crucial Catch pink glow necklaces for all fans attending the Bears-Giants game on Oct. 3
To support the NFL's work on Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the Empire State Building in New York City will be illuminated pink in early October. The Empire State Building will be lit pink on Sunday, Oct. 3, the evening of the Chicago Bears-New York Giants game. Meanwhile, the Buffalo Bills and The Niagara Falls Illumination Board worked together to light the Falls pink on Friday, Oct. 1, in honor of the Billieve Breast Cancer Awareness program.
NFL partners including Nike, Reebok, adidas, Gatorade, Wilson, Under Armour, Cutters Gloves, McArthur Towel and Sports and Longaberger have created pink merchandise for Breast Cancer Awareness games. You can expect you will be able to purchase plenty of pink merchandise, both NFL and non-NFL related, during this month.
We have a short list of events going on during Breast Cancer Awareness Month. You can read it here.