There are those that choose to remain virgins until they are married; there also was a comedy released in 2005 called "The 40-Year-Old Virgin." Admitttedly, however, that is fiction, and the story of Lolo Jones (nee Lori Jones), a 29-year-old U.S. track and field star, is not.
Lolo Jones competes in the 100m hurdles. While she may win events there, she has been losing at the game of love. As she said on "Real Sports," in an episode that was aired on Tuesday, she remains a virgin because "It's something, a gift I want to give my husband."
The revelation, of course, is much more salacious than other parts of that report. At least it would seem to be, based on its coverage. Her early life was not all that easy, as she has revealed. Lolo Jones was born on August 5, 1982 and, in her youth, attended eight schools in eight years as Lori, her single mother, often held down two jobs to make ends meet for a family of six. Her father, meanwhile, spent most of her childhood either in the Air Force - or jail. By the time Lolo Jones was in third grade, her family was living in the basement of a Des Moines Salvation Army church.
Her name, Lolo, was taken to reduce confusion when telephone callers asked for "Lori," or at least that is part of the story. According to Lolo's mother, "Lolo" is what she has called her daughter since birth.
As far as her virginity goes, she first revealed it in a Tweet. On "Real Sports," she spoke openly of her struggle - and she admitted it was a struggle - to stay a virgin.
"This journey has been hard," she said. "It's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Harder than training for the Olympics. Harder than studying for college has been staying a virgin before marriage. "I've been tempted. I've had guys tell me ...'Hey, you know, if you have sex, it'll help you run faster.' "
As far as a boyfriend goes, she's been looking online and with every major online dating service available. She hasn't had much luck, which is hard to believe considering how beautiful she appears to be. Additionally, given her sport, she is definitely a hard body, as is evidenced by her pictures (one above; you can see a large number of other pictures here).
Whether or not her virginity has had an effect on her love life, her main focus for now is the 2012 Olympics. Lolo Jones was favored to win the 100m hurdles at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, but she tripped on a hurdle, and finished in seventh place. Jones is the American record holder in the 60m hurdles with a time of 7.72. She expects to compete at this year's Olympics Trials and if all goes well, the London Olympics.
Image Source Wikimedia Commons
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea
- Reduce your kidney stone risk by 23 percent by doing this
- HGTV Kitchen Cousins Are Coming Back for More
- Celebrity chef allegedly killed over poorly prepared noodles
- KFC smuggling in Gaza with labor problems in US (VIDEO)
- Weekend Recipe: Rainbow chard, cherries and balsamic with grilled trout
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood
- Zoe Saldana Reveals Her Weight as Women of All Sizes Strive for Confidence
- Outdoor grilling lessons - get ready for summer
- Where are Marley 12 oz cold coffee cups sold?
- Hot weather dinner salad - asparagus, tomatoes and tuna
- In Which HGTV Giveaway Home Can You Find This Kitchen?
- Food Allergies: Which Allergens Are Recognized by Law?
- Grapefruit and prescription meds, when are they safe to mix?