A YouTube video of a group of teenagers playing chicken with an approaching subway train has drawn anger and condemnation by New York’s transport authority, MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority).
The video was reportedly filmed by a passenger's iPhone. It shows the teens jumping onto the tracks, and soon thereafter, a train's lights can be seen oncoming. No one was injured, however one teen can be seen scrambling back onto the platform less than 10 seconds before the train pulled in.
The MTA made the following statement on Tuesday:
“Playing on or near subway tracks is one of the most dangerous things anyone can do, and while you can’t outlaw stupidity you have to remember that 146 people were struck by subway trains last year and 47 of them died as a result.
"The individuals depicted in this video should be taken into custody and then they should have their heads examined.”
Notably, it's not just about possibly injury to the teens. The person who took the video spoke to the media, saying:
"They could have killed more people on the subway, should the train have to stop suddenly, or the people on the train could get hurt. They're putting everyone at risk."
Naturally, however, this requires some degree of common sense and thinking, something teens are not known for (as well as the fact they lack much life experience). Teens often feel they are invulnerable. All it takes is one slip, however, and things like this could be tragic.
The MTA has passed the video on to police for an investigation.
Image Source Wikimedia Commons
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Can a Low-Carb Flaxseed Meal Muffin Really Taste Good? YES!
- Edible life on Mars? NASA explores 3-D pizza printers
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog