Stage Entertainment UK is to start the search for performers to play the students of East High in the 2008 British Stage Production based on the Disney Channel's 'High School Musical' with a series of open auditions in Edinburgh, Manchester, and London.
The creative team will be looking for the following attributes:
• All performers must be above the age of 18 and have a playing age of of High School teenagers
• Performers of all cultural backgrounds are encouraged to attend
• The following skills would be an advantage: Break-dance, gymnastics, skateboarding, acro, hip-hop, jazz and rollerblading
• Hopefuls are asked to come prepared to dance and to bring two pop songs that show their vocal range (with sheet music), a copy of their CV and a photograph
• Performers must be able to commit to a one year contract and must bring photographic ID with them
• Should auditionees be successful they may be asked to travel to London on Sunday 9 September for a recall
Tuesday 4 September – Edinburgh
Edinburgh Playhouse, 18-22 Greenside Place, Edinburgh EH1 3AA
Registration at 10am
Wednesday 5 September - Manchester
Zion Arts Centre, 335 Stretford Road, Manchester M15 5ZA
Registration at 10am
Thursday 6 September – London
Pineapple, 7 Langley Street, London WC2H 9JA
Registration at 9.30am
This new stage adaptation of the hit musical Disney Channel Original Movie features a book by David Simpatico (adapted from the original movie script by Peter Barsocchini), and a score including all the songs from the original chart-topping soundtrack, including the UK hit singles 'Breaking Free' and 'We're All In This Together', plus two new numbers. The production will be directed by Jeff Calhoun, director of the award-winning Broadway revivals of Grease and Big River.
High School Musical is a contemporary musical comedy about Troy, a popular high school basketball star, and Gabriella, a shy, academically gifted newcomer who discover they share a secret passion for singing.
When they sign up together to audition for the lead roles in the school musical it threatens East High's rigid social order and sends their peers into uproar. In a desperate attempt to maintain the status quo, the 'jocks', the 'brainiacs', and even the drama club regulars, are soon hatching convoluted plots to separate the pair and keep them offstage. However, by defying expectations and taking a chance on their dreams, the couple inspires other students to go public with some surprising hidden talents of their own.
High School Musical runs at The Mayflower Theatre from 28 April – 10 May 2008. Tickets are on sale from Monday 10 September. -- www.the-mayflower.com