The New York Stock Exchange and NYSE Arca, subsidiaries of NYSE Group, Inc. (NYSE: NYX), will be closed on Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2007 in observance of the national day of mourning for President Gerald R. Ford.
"My NYSE Group colleagues and I join all Americans in mourning the loss of President Ford, a man of great integrity and vision, and a dedicated public servant," said NYSE Group, Inc. CEO John A. Thain. "He assumed a troubled presidency in a critical time, and thoughtfully and skillfully restored credibility and confidence in the presidency. President Ford also made significant contributions to the stability and vitality of the U.S. economy and financial markets. It is appropriate that we honor President Ford and celebrate the life of a truly great American."
During the 20th Century, the NYSE has generally closed to honor the deaths of past and sitting U.S. presidents. Most often, the Exchange has closed the entire day of the president's funeral, which is usually declared a national day of mourning.
Below are listed the special actions taken by the NYSE to honor deceased U.S. presidents.
Five presidents merited only a partial closing: Hoover (1964), Taft (1930), Wilson (1924), Theodore Roosevelt (1919) and Cleveland (1908). Only one president, Benjamin Harrison (d. Mar. 13, 1901), was not honored with a memorial closing at the NYSE. Archival records do not indicate why.
Stay in touch with HULIQ NEWS on Twitter @HULIQ
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV
- San Francisco residents cut out popular restaurant's bacon fat, literally
- Two New York Times Food Writers take a grocery shopping tour (video)
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea
- Reduce your kidney stone risk by 23 percent by doing this
- HGTV Kitchen Cousins Are Coming Back for More
- Celebrity chef allegedly killed over poorly prepared noodles
- KFC smuggling in Gaza with labor problems in US (VIDEO)
- Weekend Recipe: Rainbow chard, cherries and balsamic with grilled trout
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood