Police had the task of breaking up a fight between 600 students at Locke High School in South Los Angeles. The fight between rival black and Hispanic gangs started around noon on Friday.
As the high school fight raged students that were not involved were locked into their classrooms. Once order had been restored by the police those who were involved in the fight were separated by race, Hispanics were sent to the gym with black students sent to another of the schools rooms.
There were only four arrests to come out of the melee. Three of those arrested were students charged with fighting and one person who was not a student was charged with suspicion of possessing a knife.
Although no was was injured seriously enough for a trip to the hospital many were treated at the scene.
School staff had a difficult time telling who was involved in the fighting and who was trying to escape the insanity.
“The kids were crazy, running from place to place jumping on other kids,” Smith said. “Some of my kids were crying because they were walking to class with friends and they got jumped.”
According to student Victor Wong the root of the fight started on Wednesday between two graffiti gangs. Friday’s fight was planned after the first and was at first to be between 10 Hispanic students and 10 black students.
The group meet at the handball courts but spread throughout the school like a California wildfire. School security would show up to stop one fight only to find out other fights were being staged elsewhere.
The school district police sent 60 officers to the scene and the LAPD sent in another 50 officers along with more than a dozen police cars.
Senior Ronald White said that when the police arrived some of the students began to fight with them. Officers used their batons and pepper spray to subdue the riot.
Locke High School is known in the area as a violent school. Fights are a common occurrence during the school year. Friday’s melee though was the worst fight in years for the school.
There are 2,600 students enrolled at Locke. 65 percent of those are Hispanic and 35 percent black.
Source: By Moments In Time
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Looking for work this summer? US restaurant industry will add 448,000 summer jobs
- Eating Low-Carb on Memorial Day Can Be Surprisingly Simple
- 4 Grilled shrimp marinade ideas for Memorial Day
- HGTV Memorial Day Weekend Party Menu Ideas are Classic Favorites
- 4 Chicken marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Edible body scrubs made from foods and sugar in your kitchen
- Kill guests with kindness, not unhealthy drinks this Memorial Day
- MasterChef 4 premieres: Greenback flambé, a wedding proposal, and redemption
- Spare ribs marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Feed Your Late-Night Cravings on 'Last Call Food Brawl'
- Can a Low-Carb Flaxseed Meal Muffin Really Taste Good? YES!
- Edible life on Mars? NASA explores 3-D pizza printers
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims