Fix: IE7 with Sitemeter: Operation aborted. This news is primarily addressed to those webmasters who experience a similar problem with Sitemeter.
If your web page contains a Sitemeter counter, Internet Explorer users eventually see an "Operation aborted" error message. Once they click OK, the whole page disappears and is replaced by a blank page.
Quick fix: If you don't need Sitemeter so much and you want to simplify the life of 1/2 of your visitors, just remove the Sitemeter portion of your HTML code. Otherwise, continue to read.
The behavior began yesterday because Sitemeter updated their scripts. Unfortunately, they forgot about a bug of the Internet Explorer that has been causing a similar "Operation aborted" error with many scripts (for example, this blog used to have a "welcome message" that identified your place: it used to crash MSIE, too). See a technical explanation of the bug at
Microsoft Knowledge Base 927917.
This bug should be fixed in Internet Explorer 8. It is also absent in Firefox 3.0.1 and Opera 9.51 which are also faster than MSIE 7 and which are recommended to the visitors.
Meanwhile, there are several methods to fix the problem on the webmaster's side. One of them is to use the simplified, script-free counter.
The disadvantage is that the icon is actually not displayed now, due to another bug. But you will see all the information about your visitors, except for the referring URL. They are counted.
Sitemeter will hopefully fix this bug soon and we will be able to move the counter wherever we like. Moreover, I hope that Microsoft will fix this general bug of MSIE browsers.
And finally, one more advise for the visitors of the Internet who encounter important crashing websites with the Sitemeter (whose webmasters haven't yet fixed the problem) and who can't or don't want to change their IE7 browser: Add Sitemeter among the restricted sites.
1. Open "Tools" / "Options" in the menu
2. Click "Security" tab
3. Select "Restricted Sites"
4. Click "Sites" button
5. Under "Add this website to this zone", enter "*.sitemeter.com" without the quotes
6. Click "Add" button
7. Close windows using "Close" or "OK", not "Cancel".
After that, and without a restart, Sitemeter's thwartage is thwarted.
Reported by The Reference Frame
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea
- Reduce your kidney stone risk by 23 percent by doing this
- HGTV Kitchen Cousins Are Coming Back for More
- Celebrity chef allegedly killed over poorly prepared noodles
- KFC smuggling in Gaza with labor problems in US (VIDEO)
- Weekend Recipe: Rainbow chard, cherries and balsamic with grilled trout
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood
- Zoe Saldana Reveals Her Weight as Women of All Sizes Strive for Confidence
- Outdoor grilling lessons - get ready for summer
- Where are Marley 12 oz cold coffee cups sold?
- Hot weather dinner salad - asparagus, tomatoes and tuna
- In Which HGTV Giveaway Home Can You Find This Kitchen?
- Food Allergies: Which Allergens Are Recognized by Law?
- Grapefruit and prescription meds, when are they safe to mix?