Christy and Nick Harp of Ohio, may have the grown the world's largest pumpkin at 1,725 pounds. However, there are other world's records that are carved into the Guinness Book of World Records this Halloween, including the World's Largest Jack-o-Lantern.
Scott Cully holds the Guinness Book of World Records mark for Largest Jack-o-Lantern. He has set and broken that record five times in recent years, most recently two years ago when he carved what was then the world’s largest-ever pumpkin, 1,689 pounds just outside Providence, R.I.
That record (for world’s largest pumpkin) was broken this year by Christy and Nick Harp of Jackson Township, Ohio, who grew one that weighs 1,725 pounds. Scott Cully was invited to carve the new world's largest pumpkin on the TODAY show this month, but a family situation prevented it.
Halloween is a big time for records of the largest proportions, likely because it's a holiday when people can be creative and go outside the norm.
Here are some top Guinness records for some of the largest, biggest, best, fastest and simply amazing Halloween accomplishments from pumpkins to zombies.
• Largest Virtual Halloween Party – Over 600 participants attempted the record for the Largest Virtual Halloween Party in Sony's Free Realms game on October 21, 2009. Each player dressed in Halloween costumes and danced to "virtual boomboxes".
• Longest Walk Through Horror House - On September 12, 2009, the Cutting Edge Haunted House in Fort Worth Texas set the record for the longest walk through horror house at 689.17 m (2261.08 ft) long.
• Largest Gathering of Zombies - The largest gathering of zombies was set by 4,026 participants at 'The Big Chill Festival’ in Ledbury, Herefordshire, UK, on August 6, 2009.
• Largest Gathering of Skeletons - 197 audience members on the set of The Paul O'Grady Show set the records for the largest gathering of skeletons in London, UK, on September 24, 2009.
• Largest Halloween Gathering - The largest Halloween gathering was achieved by 362 participants, in an event organized by I Run For The Party's Halloween 5K in Nashville, Tennessee, USA, on October 18, 2008.
• Most People Carving Pumpkins Simultaneously - The record for the most pumpkins carved simultaneously is 965 and was achieved by 965 students at the Malvern Town Centre in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada on October 31, 2005.
• Fastest Time To Carve One Pumpkin - The fastest time to carve a face into a pumpkin is 24.03 seconds, by Stephen Clarke (USA), who broke his previous record on July 23, 2006 at Universal Studios, Orlando, Florida, USA as part of Food Network Challenge: Guinness World Records Week.
• Furthest Distance to Fire a Pumpkin - A pumpkin was 'shot' by air cannon a distance of 1,368 m (4,491 ft) on September 19, 1998 by the Aludium Q-36 Pumpkin Modulator, built and manned by Matt Parker, Chuck Heerde, Rod Litwiller, Steve Young and James Knepp at the Morton Pumpkin Festival in Illinois.
• Most Pumpkins Carved in One Hour - Stephen Clarke carved 50 pumpkins in Times Square, New York City, in a promotion for Scholastic "Goosebumps" book series on October 31, 2008.
• Fastest Time for Carving a Ton of Pumpkins - Stephen Clarke carved one ton of pumpkins in 3 hours 33 minutes 49 seconds at Harrah's Casino Resort, Atlantic City, NJ on October 29, 2008.
While the world's largest pumpkin weighing in at 1,725 pounds might be the new record, it really needs to pull its weight to compete with the other Halloween Guinness records. Carving the world's largest pumpkin is certainly Guinness record holder Scott Cully's specialty and is part of a growing list of Halloween world records.
source: Guinness Book of World's Records