Martin Luther King Day 2010, January 18, is an official federal holiday. Most government offices and buildings are closed, with some exceptions. In the United States, a federal holiday is a public holiday recognized by the United States government. Non-essential federal government offices are closed.
Martin Luther King Day took several years to gain national acceptance and is called "Civil Rights Day" in some locations. It is a holiday that marks the birthdate of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., observed on the third Monday of January each year, around the time of King's birthday, January 15.
Martin Luther King Day is celebrated as a public holiday in many parts of the United States. Government and state offices and schools for the most part. Local newspapers should list the establishments that are open on January 18, 2010.
What is open or closed on Martin Luther King Day 2010?
Mail Delivery: All USPS offices are closed and there will be no mail delivery on MLK Day.
Libraries: Most libraries are closed on MLK Day
City Offices: There may be some exceptions, but for the most part, city offices are closed.
Banks: Banks are closed to observe MLK Day.
Schools: Publics schools are closed on Martin Luther King Day.
Businesses: It is up to each business owner as to whether they observe MLK Day or not. The majority of grocery stores, retail stores, gas stations and restaurants are all open for business as usual.
On January 17, 2000, for the first time, Martin Luther King Day was officially observed in all 50 states. Prior to that New Hampshire and Arizona did not observe the day.
The next federal holiday will be President’s Day -- February 16th, the third Monday in February.
Written by Cheryl Phillips
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV