Thanksgiving Prayers and Blessings
"How great is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you, which you bestow in the sight of men on those who take refuge in you."
"Call out to the Almighty
Everyone on earth!
Serve God with gladness.
Come before Him with joyous song!
Know that the Almighty, He is God.
It is He who made us and we are His,
His nation and the sheep of His pasture.
Enter His gates with thanksgiving.
Enter His courts with praise.
Give thanks to Him, bless His name.
The Almighty is good.
His loving-kindness endures forever.
And His faithfulness continues
From generation to generation."
"Come, Lord Jesus, our guest to be
And bless these gifts
Bestowed by Thee.
And bless our loved ones everywhere,
And keep them in Your loving care."
Abigail van Buren “Dear Abby”
"O, heavenly Father: We thank thee for food and remember the hungry.
We thank thee for health and remember the sick.
We thank thee for friends and remember the friendless.
We thank thee for freedom and remember the enslaved.
May these remembrances stir us to service,
that thy gifts to us may be used for others. Amen."
Thanksgiving Prayer - India: Swami Paramananda
"May the Lord accept this, our offering, and bless our food that it may bring us strength in our body, vigor in our mind and selfless devotion in our hearts for His service."
Psalm 100:4, 5a
"Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise; be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the Lord is good..."
We Gather Together – Traditional Thanksgiving Hymn by Theodore Baker: 1851-1934
"We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing;
He chastens and hastens his will to make known;
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing,
Sing praises to his name: He forgets not his own.
Beside us to guide us, our God with us joining,
Ordaining, maintaining his kingdom divine;
So from the beginning the fight we were winning;
Thou, Lord, wast at our side, All glory be thine!
We all do extol thee, thou leader triumphant,
And pray that thou still our defender wilt be.
Let thy congregation escape tribulation;
Thy name be ever praised! O Lord, make us free! Amen"
Humorous Thanksgiving Sayings
- "My mother is such a lousy cook that Thanksgiving at her house is a time of sorrow." – Rita Rudner
- "Coexistence: what the farmer does with the turkey - until Thanksgiving." – Mike Connolly
- "But see, in our open clearings, how golden the melons lie; Enrich them with sweets and spices, and give us the pumpkin-pie!" – Margaret Junkin Preston
- "One distinguishing mark of an unregenerate man is ingratitude." – E. J. Conrad
- "We're having something a little different this year for Thanksgiving. Instead of a turkey, we're having a swan. You get more stuffing." – George Carlin
- "Thanksgiving is an emotional holiday. People travel thousands of miles to be with people they only see once a year. And then discover once a year is way too often." – Johnny Carson
"May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have nary a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs!" – Anonymous
Related Holiday Articles and Recipes
- How To Deep Fry a Turkey
- How to Deep Fry a Turkey for the Holidays Video with Alton Brown
- Brining a Turkey Like Alton Brown, Emeril and Cooking Light
- The Best Thanksgiving Pies and Dessert Recipes on the Web
- Martha Stewart's Favorite Thanksgiving Desserts List
- Martha Stewart's Vegetarian Fed $69.99 Thanksgiving Turkey
- Today Show's Favorite Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipes
- Cracker Barrel Serves Cheap $4.49 - $8.99 Thanksgiving Meal
- Pumpkin Seed Recipes
- Most Popular Thanksgiving Pies & Recipes
- Free Thanksgiving Math Worksheets and Kids' Printable Crafts
- Free Thanksgiving Coloring Pages and Popular Kids' Crafts
- Free Martha Stewart's Thanksgiving Templates and Clip Art
Photo credits: Smithsonian Institute
Sources: angelfire.com; wikipedia.com; thanksgiving-day.org
Written by Donna Diegel
Exclusive to HULIQ.com