"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no child-like faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished. Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies!" Francis P. Church (New York Sun, September 21, 1897)
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966-2000)
"And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more." ~ Dr. Suess
A Christmas Carol (1938)
- Ebenezer Scrooge: Please let me stay!
- Spirit of Christmas Present: Nonsense! You don't want to stay!
- Ebenezer Scrooge: Yes, I do!
- Spirit of Christmas Present: No! You don't like Christmas!
- Ebenezer Scrooge: Yes! Yes I do! I like Christmas! I LOVE Christmas!
It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
- Zuzu Bailey: Look, Daddy. Teacher says, every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings.
- George Bailey: That's right, that's right.
- George Bailey: Attaboy, Clarence.
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
- Fred Gailey: Your Honor, every one of these letters is addressed to Santa Claus. The Post Office has delivered them. Therefore the Post Office Department, a branch of the Federal Government, recognizes this man Kris Kringle to be the one and only Santa Claus.
- Judge Henry X. Harper: Uh, since the United States Government declares this man to be Santa Claus, this court will not dispute it. Case dismissed.
A Christmas Story (1983)
- [Ralphie is visiting Santa at the department store, only he can't remember what he wanted]
- Santa Claus: How about a nice football?
- Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] Football? Football? What's a football? With unconscious will my voice squeaked out 'football'.
- Santa Claus: Okay, get him out of here.
- Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] A football? Oh no, what was I doing? Wake up, Stupid! Wake up!
- Ralphie: [Ralphie is shoved down the slide, but he stops himself and climbs back up] No! No! I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!
- Santa Claus: You'll shoot your eye out, kid.
"Ah, come on, dad, this could be the miracle that saves The Simpsons Christmas! If TV has taught me anything, its that miracles always happens to poor kids at Christmas. It happened to Tiny Tim, it happened to Charlie Brown, it happened to The Smurfs, and it's gonna happen to us!" ~ Bart Simpson
- "Bart: Hey Santa, what's shakin, man?
- Homer: What's your name Bart...ner, uh, little partner...
- Bart: I'm Bart Simpson, who the hell are you?
- Homer: I'm jolly old St. Nick!
- Bart: Oh yeah, we'll just see about that!" ~ The Simpsons
A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)
- "Schroeder: This is the music I've selected for the Christmas play.
- Lucy Van Pelt: What kind of Christmas music is *that*?
- Schroeder: Beethoven Christmas music.
- Lucy Van Pelt: What has Beethoven got to do with Christmas? Everyone talks about how "great" Beethoven was.
- Beethoven wasn't so great.
- Schroeder: What do you mean Beethoven wasn't so great?
- Lucy Van Pelt: He never got his picture on bubble gum cards, did he? Have you ever seen his picture on a bubble gum card? Hmmm? How can
- you say someone is great who's never had his picture on bubble gum cards?
- Schroeder: Good grief."
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)
- Clark: [Finally revealing his Christmas Bonus] It's a membership to the Jelly of the Month Club.
- Eddie: [Overwhelmed, almost choking on his eggnog] Clark, that's the gift that keeps on giving throughout the entire year.
Related Holiday Articles:
- Christmas Quotes, Funny Holiday Sayings
- Christmas Jokes, Quotes, Silly Holiday Sayings
- Homemade Eggnog Recipes Fuel the Christmas Spirit
- Christmas Cocktail Recipes and Jello Shots Ignite Holiday Parties
- Free Christmas Desktop Wallpapers
- Christmas Eve Quotes for a Merry Christmas Celebration
Sources: imdb.com; amazon.com
Written by Donna Diegel