A Michigan State University Scientist has finally discovered how high blood sugar levels can cause blindness. The damage occurs in the eye's blood vessels, but researchers were unsure why or how those cells became impaired. The leading of cause of young adult blindness is caused by diabetic retinopathy, it's time to help find a cure or a treatment for diabetic patients.
The research, published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry, reveals that when blood sugar levels are high, the siah-1 protein is produced by the body. The siah-1 protein helps move another protein, glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH), into the nucleus of Muller cells. Muller cells have direct contact with blood vessels in the eye. The Muller cells die when GAPDH accumulates in their nuclei, which eventually leads to the vascular damage connected to blindness.
Susanne Mohr, MSU associate professor of physiology stated "But we weren't sure how the GAPDH was getting in there. It doesn't contain any of the necessary signaling motifs. I read about the siah-1 protein and cell death in white blood cells in a Nature paper, so we decided to investigate them. We had no idea if the siah-1 protein was even in the retina."
Stopping GAPDH from moving into Muller cell nuclei therefore, is important to stopping the progress of diabetic retinopathy. GAPDH does continue to accumulate in Muller cell nuclei even after blood glucose levels are lowered or stabilized, forcing the retinal damage to continue, only more slowly.
"If we can keep GAPDH out of the nuclei, we may be able to completely stop diabetic retinopathy," Mohr said. "Our next step is to figure out if both the GAPHD and the siah-1 proteins have to be together in a complex to cause cell death."
Eventually, this will all lead to the ultimate goal of treatment. Diabetic patients suffering from diabetic retinopathy range around 40 percent to 45 percent, making the research viable and necessary to their quality of life.
Written by Amy Munday
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Looking for work this summer? US restaurant industry will add 448,000 summer jobs
- Eating Low-Carb on Memorial Day Can Be Surprisingly Simple
- 4 Grilled shrimp marinade ideas for Memorial Day
- HGTV Memorial Day Weekend Party Menu Ideas are Classic Favorites
- 4 Chicken marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Edible body scrubs made from foods and sugar in your kitchen
- Kill guests with kindness, not unhealthy drinks this Memorial Day
- MasterChef 4 premieres: Greenback flambé, a wedding proposal, and redemption
- Spare ribs marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Feed Your Late-Night Cravings on 'Last Call Food Brawl'
- Can a Low-Carb Flaxseed Meal Muffin Really Taste Good? YES!
- Edible life on Mars? NASA explores 3-D pizza printers
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims