Homeowners may be in luck: the government is currently reviewing new measures that would give distressed homeowners more time to qualify for government sponsored programs before having to face foreclosure. The government wants mortgage lenders to ease regulations on homeowners who are delinquent on payments and offer them more time. This would effect homeowners who have been denied loan modification under the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP).
The new rules would mean that mortgage lenders would have to give those denied under HAMP 30 days to appeal the denial. During that time, mortgage lenders could not put the home in question into foreclosure or for sale at auction.
The lender would also have to certify in writing that the borrower was denied under HAMP. This is most likely in response to a new practice of collecting on delinquent homeowners. Many underwater homeowners are choosing to walk away from their home rather than pay outrageous mortgage rates. As a result, more and more banks are filing lawsuits or seeking the money owed.
The proposed laws would slow down the foreclosure process and give distressed homeowners a chance at keeping their homes. For instance, one new measure under consideration, would force lenders to see whether borrowers 60 days or more delinquent on payments qualify for HAMP. This would entail at least four phone calls and two written notices.
Currently, nearly 2.0 million households nationwide face foreclosure, or are behind 90 days on mortgage payments. Thus far, mortgage relief programs have been plagued by red tape and paperwork. Efforts to streamline the process will no doubt leave mortgage lenders and borrowers with less stress. Moreover, if these changes are indeed implemented, then foreclosures will become fewer and more homeowner will be given a second chance.
Written by Lani Shadduck
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- MasterChef 4 premieres: Greenback flambé, a wedding proposal, and redemption
- Spare ribs marinade ideas for Memorial Day grilling
- Feed Your Late-Night Cravings on 'Last Call Food Brawl'
- Can a Low-Carb Flaxseed Meal Muffin Really Taste Good? YES!
- Edible life on Mars? NASA explores 3-D pizza printers
- 20 Exciting Ways to Use Eggshells For Home and Garden
- Carlos Santana's $65 Supernatural Napa Valley wine
- Operation BBQ dishes up good food to Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cake mix recall, Eco-Cuisine self reports
- Regrowing Foods from Kitchen Scraps Can Save Money Year-Round
- HGTV Memorial Day Cocktails Liven Up Summer Parties
- Four foods a day to keep the doctor away
- Apples to Whole Grain: why and how these 17 foods fight cancer
- Good Eggs Needed for the Chief Egg Officer Search Contest
- Meatless Monday's 10 Hot Tips For Tasty Summer Grilling That'll Get You Fired Up For A Healthy BBQ Season