March 30 marks the 76th annual National Doctors Day. The tradition celebrates doctors and physicians from all disciplines. Conceived by the wife of a doctor, the tradition has been going strong since 1933. There are many ways to celebrate the occasion - a little creativity goes a long way.
Doctors’ Day was originally begun by Eudora Brown Almond of Winder, Ga.. As the wife of Dr. Charles B. Almond, Eudora wanted to set aside a day to pay tribute to doctors and the work they do for society. The day officially became a national holiday in 1990 when the resolution was signed by President George Bush.
The day also marks the anniversary of the first use of general anesthesia in surgery. A red carnation is used to symbolize the day. Traditionally, Doctors' Day is celebrated sending cards to doctors or placing flowers on the graves of doctors who have passed. This year, however, celebrate out-of-the-box with these three ideas:
Exercise: Doctor Jason North of Cedar City UT., suggests his patients celebrate by getting out and exercising for at least half an hour a day. Exercise promotes healthy living and living longer.
Make a Donation: Medical care, as is well known, isn’t cheap. Making a donation to one’s hospital of choice will help any number of areas including care, supplies and upgrades. Donations are also tax deductible for those still in the weeds with taxes.
Write a thank you note: It’s quick, easy and personal. Taking the time to send a thank you notes means a lot and will make any doctors day go by faster.
There are a host of other ways to say “Thank You” to doctors and all they do for us. Remember: a little effort goes a long way. Simply take some time out today to celebrate National Doctors’ Day 2010.
Written by Lani Shadduck
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Totally loco number of Doritos Locos Tacos sold in just over a year will blow your mind
- Crazy liquored-up ice cream collection captures 'free spirit' of F. Scott Fitzgerald's muse
- An American original: Oscar Mayer introduces the first bacon hot dog: The Bacon Dog
- Food Suggestions to Help Decrease PMS Symptoms
- Eat, drink and argue: dinner table spats on reality TV
- San Francisco residents cut out popular restaurant's bacon fat, literally
- Two New York Times Food Writers take a grocery shopping tour (video)
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea
- Reduce your kidney stone risk by 23 percent by doing this
- HGTV Kitchen Cousins Are Coming Back for More
- Celebrity chef allegedly killed over poorly prepared noodles
- KFC smuggling in Gaza with labor problems in US (VIDEO)
- Weekend Recipe: Rainbow chard, cherries and balsamic with grilled trout
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood