According to a new survey by the Pew Research Center, nearly 80 percent of Americans simply do not trust the government. In fact, they find the current government akin to a beast in need of drastic taming. The tea party movement that has sprung up of late is a great testament to America’s present political state of mind.
Too big, obstrusive, ineffective, and just plain bothersome, is the way many Americans are prone to describe the government. This ‘Big Brother’ sentiment is nothing new either. Prior to the Obama administration, anti-government attitudes could be seen across America. Witness the militias of Montana or the Million Man Marches on Washington.
This latest survey, however, sees a lot of hostility toward the Obama administration. For one, Obama inherited the deficit and recession from President George W. Bush; furthermore, Americans are not happy with all the politicking that goes around Washington.
For all its talk, Washington has made little progress. Instead, it seems the government has just managed to get on America’s nerves. Independent voter David Willms of Sarasota, Fla., puts it this way: “I want an honest government. This isn’t a n honest government. It hasn’t been for some time.”
The mistrust of government puts Obama and the Democrats in a precarious position for the fall elections. Should the tea party movement continue to rally Americans, the Democrats may actually lose key seats this Fall, which could mean the end to a Democratic majority and the beginning of even more troubles. Thus far, discontent reigns supreme and America is making it known.
Written by Lani Shadduck
Comment and add to the story without registration, but keep the comments meaningful please. Links are not accepted.
- Gary Cole, federal prisoner: Taco Bell stole his Doritos Locos Tacos idea
- Reduce your kidney stone risk by 23 percent by doing this
- HGTV Kitchen Cousins Are Coming Back for More
- Celebrity chef allegedly killed over poorly prepared noodles
- KFC smuggling in Gaza with labor problems in US (VIDEO)
- Weekend Recipe: Rainbow chard, cherries and balsamic with grilled trout
- Deer Corn Recall Issued, FDA Indicates Possible Aflatoxin Contamination
- Cooking with Kale: Easy Recipes to Get You Started with This Superfood
- Zoe Saldana Reveals Her Weight as Women of All Sizes Strive for Confidence
- Outdoor grilling lessons - get ready for summer
- Where are Marley 12 oz cold coffee cups sold?
- Hot weather dinner salad - asparagus, tomatoes and tuna
- In Which HGTV Giveaway Home Can You Find This Kitchen?
- Food Allergies: Which Allergens Are Recognized by Law?
- Grapefruit and prescription meds, when are they safe to mix?